About this page

This blog brings you short updates about the people and ministries associated with Calvary Chapel Scandinavia (CCS). Tip us about good stories at csu@calvarychapel.dk or via Facebook or Twitter (twitter.com/ccscandinavia).

Sunday, July 15, 2012

2012 Guest Speakers: Mark Walsh

To introduce you to this year's guest speakers, we will bring you a series of short profile interviews with each of the pastors who have accepted our invitation to teach God's Word at this summer's conference.

Among the guest speakers this year is Mark Walsh, who thereby will take part in his third Scandinavian conference after attending the conferences back in 2005 and 2006 (the latter as a guest speaker).

In your own words, who are you?
I am a 50 year old englishman currently serving in New Zealand as the Senior Pastor and Director of Calvary Chapel Bible Institute. My wife Gwyn and I, along with our two kids Becky and Jordan, have been serving as missionaries for the last 15 years in Austria, Hungary and now middle earth.

When did you first know that God was calling you to pastor and/or teach the Bible?
I had a heart for service and ministry right from the time I was converted in 1978. I was involved firstly in worship leading. After about 10 years of struggling with my calling, I accepted the fact that God was calling me in that direction and then just became more and more involved in ministry.

For you, what is the most rewarding thing about being a pastor?
Simply being where I am in the center of God's will for my life. That's not really about being a pastors, that is just about being believer.

What is the toughest part about being a pastor?
The continued battle with discouragement.

What book(s) are you reading right now?
Mainly the Bible, but also Spurgeon on spiritual leadership and the book Abide In Christ by Andrew Murray. I tend to read for the the things I am studying and teaching.

Why have you accepted the invitation to be a guest speaker at this year's conference in Scandinavia?
I have a heart for Europe and Scandinavia and have some very special long-term friendships in that area that are also very special to me.

This will be your 3rd Scandinavian conference and your 2nd time speaking. How do you feel about being invited back?
It's always nice to be invited anywhere :) It's been a while, though, so I'm looking forward to seeing how everyone has grown.

See also:
2012 Guest Speakers: Nate Holdridge

No comments: